Exclusive interview with queen of all fashion bloggers Susie Lau from Style Bubble


This fashion blogger needs no introduction since she’s the queen of them all. Not only has Susie Lau been pioneering fashion blogging – she was one of only two bloggers invited to a Gucci show in New York – but she’s genuinely interested in the artistry of fashion-making and, unlike other “social media figures” not (only) about the glam and glitz of the couture industry. Her approach is dedicated, honest, and original. That’s why I wanted to have the opportunity to interview with her.

She opens up about the future of Style Bubble, her contemporary art tastes and her dream collaboration. It’s an
honour to share her views with you:

Tell us something we don't know about you as a matter of introduction:
I eat a lot - at least five times a day. 

How did the blog start? 
I was just bored at my daytime job of working in digital media so I started the blog as a sideline hobby. 

What is your biggest achievement? 
Managing to keep the blog for oh, close to six years?

How do you see your blog evolving in the next few years?
The design will change, the content will shift.  I want to try and do bigger stories and then do smaller more filler-y content to the side.  



Who do you take your fashion inspiration from? 
I like the integrity of people like Cathy Horyn and Suzy Menkes.  I don't aspire to be critics like them but I like their eyes-wide-open, no-holds-barred approach to fashion.  Fashion blogging wise, I love Diane Pernet's unique take on fashion. 

Who is your favourite designer?  Of all time? 
That would have to be Yves Saint Laurent.  Right now though, I still think Nicolas Ghesquiere is probably currently the one that is pushing boundaries in terms of textiles and silhouette and gets referenced the most out of all of them.  

What are your tastes in contemporary art like?
Have you seen any interesting exhibitions recently?  I've been really bad with exhibitions - I still haven't seen the Yayoi Kusama exhibition yet which I'm dying to see!  Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre's photography is currently on my desktop - it's not new but their photography of ruined Detroit have been seared on to my brain. 

Do you think that the print market has been affected by the excellency of blogs (such as yours)? 
Probably not. I think if anything, magazines are still very much flourishing and alive.  The problem is there's a LOT OF not very good magazines out there (just as there are a lot of not very good blogs) but the good ones are still inspiring and keeping afloat in terms of revenue - look at the strong readership figures that the like of US Glamour and Vogue and British Elle still hold.  Then titles like Dazed & Confused, i-D, Another, Love, The Gentlewoman still have a strong following.  They will all have to look at their web offerings though to ensure that their website supports their print counterparts and that the two nurture each other.
 
What are your next projects? 
A lot of freelance writing and hopefully a rather exciting project with a brand that involves a round the world trip! 



Are you interested in moving to the other side, I mean, becoming a fashion designer or an artist? 
I don't think so.  I think I have a specific point of view in fashion but it's not one that extends to being a full on designer. 

Do you make money from your blog? 
Yes.  That's all I'll say.

What's your dream collaboration? 
To write for the New Yorker.  I'm not good enough but it's still a lofty aspiration to have. 

Who do you think we should most watch as designers of the future? 
Anthony Vaccarello was obviously a break out star from Paris but I also loved the attitude of Julien David who fuses streetwear with a technical prowess that is really fascinating.  In London, Simone Rocha turned out a beautiful collection and Lucas Nascimento is a knitwear designer that is really quite stunning. 
In New York, knitwear designer Degen is quite provocative and Creatures of the Wind will I think reach new heights.

To finish with, w
hat do you think about Art is Alive?  
An effective contextualisation of art within mainstream culture.

What do you wish to Art is Alive?
 
All the best?

Thanks Susie for being so dedicated, interesting and professional…